Friday 7 August 2015

Day 29 Bodega Beach to Samuel Taylor (44 miles) 6th August

Ever since I left work, I've heard all about various ways in which bad things could happen on this trip. Bears that would find me in the night, attack and eat me. Snakes biting, Bees and hornets stinging. Mountain lions, wolves, coyotes and grizzlies hunting me down and tearing me apart, finally leaving me for the scorpions and Vultures. I could also expect to be shot at robbed or worse if the cast of Deliverance were hiding in wait with toothless grins and lengths of rope. Even eaten if the crazy people from The Hills Have Eyes were in the area. I have wondered what it is that makes folk so wary and fearful. Most of the people that handed out warnings had never seen a bear except on TV, and didn't look like they'd been mugged or shot too frequently either. I suppose it is a result of an increasingly safety-obsessed society. Where children now don't climb trees for fear of falling. Of course things go wrong, but on a human level the vast majority of people are willing to help and look out for each other. As for the non human side, just have some common sense.. It is important to remember too that thrill. When twigs snap outside my tent, or when hooded zombies shuffle towards me, it is easy to feel the fear and hear again every one of those "worriers" warning words. But with a positive attitude and some good judgement, there is nothing to really be afraid of. I certainly have been thankful for all the best wishes and positive comments.

Music for today's ride.
The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come.
The Clash - London Calling.
New Order - Technique

Dedicated to positive thoughts and good dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment