Saturday 22 August 2015

Day 43 Costal Dunes RV Park to Lompoc (Warmshowers Host) 20th August. (32 miles)

I had sent out some warmshower requests and as well as they one that came with added farm work I had a confirmation from a guy in a town called Lompoc.
The ride there was pretty boring. Fruit fields, head winds and dust. Not a sniff of Ocean. There was a mega hill that came around midday so I had to take that on at the worst time. I arrived in Lompoc which is a nice town with shops and coffee bars and I had two things to sort out. One was to find the hosts house and the other was to find the local camp site just in case the host situation went wrong. I pulled up outside a coffee shop with WIFI and started to chain my bike up when I heard someone say "oh jeez, another vagrant". I did a double take in case there was someone else they could be referring to but no, I was the vagrant they meant. A quick reply of "how many vagrants do you see with GoPro's, iphones and an ipad"? Before I unlocked my bike and set off for Starbucks. I decided that due to the "vagrant" misunderstanding  I would get a haircut, a new t-shirt and some new shorts. It wasn't along time before i was at the hosts eating pizza and charming his guests in my new threads. All showered, shaved and fresh. I actually bought some new jeans as well. It was from the USA version of TK Max so I didn't spend to much but the retail therapy did the world of good. The hosts name was David. He works at a company that build rockets that are used to launch the world's communication satellites. Once again the website delivered an excellent night with good people eating very good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment